Feed your body at regular 3 hour intervals with high-quality foods containing proper portion sizes and you will lose and maintain your weight, have more energy and look and feel your best. The old “diet” mentality leads to frustration and failure from depriving ourselves of food. Portioning our meals correctly and fueling our bodies right leads to success. A “diet” is getting to a destination and often stopping there, whereas learning how to eat properly and exercising is a journey leading to a healthy lifestyle.
Your body needs constant fuel to keep going, among other things. If you don’t supply the proper fuel every 3 hours, it will hold onto your fat as its lifesaver, you’ll become ravenously hungry, your blood sugar will drop and you may begin to feel anxious, lethargic, lack focus, and decrease your immunity. Waiting too long to eat and not eating the appropriate foods also causes you to grab whatever you can find, making unhealthy choices. It can take up to 30 minutes for your body to recover from its hunger hormone. Fuel your fire before it’s a fight! Keep that metabolism burning, energy flowing, and stay healthy with these tips.
1. Eat Breakfast – Your most important meal of the day truly is breakfast. If you don’t give your body the fuel it needs in the beginning, and”break-the-fast”, you’re going to end up with some major cravings throughout the day. Eating breakfast also jumpstarts your metabolism, which means it will burn more calories!
2. Choose Whole Foods – Whole foods, containing few ingredients that aren’t highly processed, will help you feel fuller longer. Whole foods have more nutritional value and contain higher quantities of vitamins and fiber compared to processed foods. Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. Try adding in vegetables with your meals to get at least 5 servings a day. When selecting breads, pastas and rice, choose only “whole grains”. The first ingredient on the label should say “whole”. The best whole foods are contained in Shakeology. Shakeology is a nutrient-dense shake containing 70 whole superfoods, with a wide range of essential nutrients from fruits, vegetables, adaptogens, prebiotics, digestive enzymes and more. It is the most superior meal to benefit your health. It increases energy and focus, curbs cravings, allows your body to shed stored fat while more than 20 different antioxidants and phytonutrients help reduce heart disease, heart attacks, high blood pressure, and stroke. Did I mention it’s delicious! More information on Shakeology can be found on my post “Shakeology is a Super Supplement”.
5. Combine the Proper Food Groups – Pairing up foods including a lean protein source such as low-fat cheese, beans, chicken, fish, or peanut butter and a complex carb from whole grains, fruits and vegetables on every plate is a great way to rev your metabolism and keep you feeling energized and fueled all day long.
4. Get More Protein – Protein doesn’t digest quickly, keeping you satisfied and fuller longer, just like whole foods. It also burns more calories during digestion to help with weight loss. Eating protein after strength training helps to repair and build your muscles. Post workout drinks, without too much sugar work well, such as P90X Results and Recovery, or protein bars. Choose lean proteins or add in a supplement of whey protein to shakes, oatmeal, pancake batter, etc.
5. Drink Lots of Water – Water is a miracle liquid! It fights fatigue, irritability, headaches, and constipation. Water curbs your appetite, decreasing hunger, keeps you energized, and gets rid of toxins. Drink 2 glasses of water when you first wake up, and continue throughout the day, focusing on two liters a day. Drinking water before every meal should help you eat less.
6. Be Mindful of Eating –Many people eat for social reasons and may not even be hungry. Use portion control and measure out your snacks. Let your body feel full before you take another serving. Slow down when you eat, and stop after correct portion size. Your body will start to recognize true hunger.
Contact me for support at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit my website www.beachbodycoach.com/fitwithmolly to purchase any Beachbody nutritionals or fitness programs to add to your healthy lifestyle. Need a meal plan? Join the Team Beachbody Club to get a customized online meal plan for only $2.99/week plus other benefits too. Click here for more information.